Dr. Fayyaz Sutterwala is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at the University of Iowa.
- Dr. Sutterwala received both his MD and his PhD ( Immunology) from Temple University School of Medicine. He did his Residency in Internal Medicine at the Yale-New Haven Hospital from 2000-2002. His Fellowship in Infectious Diseases was done at the Yale University School of Medicine from 2002-2007.
- The focus of his studies is a recently described family of molecules called NLRs that are involved in the regulation of innate immune responses and cell death pathways.
- He studies NLRs in the context of several emerging pathogens including Francisella tularensis and MRSA.
- While employed at the University of Iowa as an Associate Professor, he also works as a staff physician at the Iowa City VA Medical Center.
- In 2012, he was elected to the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- He is an associate editor for the Journal of Immunology (2012-2016).
- He is currently an academic editor for PLoS One.
Contact Dr. Fayyaz Sutterwala:
Phone: (319) 335-4261